Monday, August 22, 2011

Barbara Kruger and a Tangential Rant


I was thinking about the Korean obsession with buying exorbitant amounts of mass produced crap, especially clothing and shoes, and was reminded of a few of my favorite Barbara Kruger pieces. This memory trigger was brought on by passing yet another sidewalk shoe seller on my way home from work. I by no means think Koreans differ that much from Americans  when it comes to consumer culture. The American economy is based on the fact that it's citizens have multiple options for almost every goods or service offered. You want toilet paper? You're local Vons/Dominick's/Tops/Jewel Osco/Whatever-the-fuck-grocery-store-monopolizes-your-neighborhood probably has at least 15 different options. When it comes to the small things we're so used to options that our "wants" have slowly manifested themselves into our "needs". Hopefully you didn't over look my grocery store reference because the big things, think fortune 500, are not so slowly becoming what our government promised they'd protect us from: a monopoly.   
Holy crap a rant! Hooray!!!!! A poorly articulated rant, fuck yes!


BarbaraKruger-Untitled-We-Dont-Need-Another-Hero-1985.jpgT\

BarbaraKruger-I-Shop-Therefore-I-Am-II-1987.jpg


BarbaraKruger-Face-It-Green-2007.jpg
BarbaraKruger-Face-It-Magenta-2007.jpg
BarbaraKruger-Face-It-Yellow-2007.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment