Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Seoul, Korea. The long awaited update.

Since I never get all that personal on my blog (and never actually made it public because every previous post is random and uninteresting) I figured it was time to write about whats been going on since I've moved to Seoul. I actually started this blog a year ago when I moved to Hungary, to talk about life abroad, but never used it for that purpose. This was due in part to pure laziness and also because I've never been much into blogging.
That said, now down to the point. Korea is definitely not what I expected it to be; however, I shouldn't really say that since I came here in somewhat of a whim and with very little expectations. The food took some getting used to but now I can honestly say I love it. Well, most of it. A good 90% of it at least. Everything seems to be made out of the same basic ingredients, and yes, rice is a food staple here. As is kimchi, a fermented cabbage and spice dish. I love it, which is fortunate since it's served with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also, seafood, yummm! I've even gotten into squid, octopus, eel, and shark fin (at a Chinese restaurant a few months ago). While its not all that common, Koreans do eat dog. I haven't had any so I couldn't tell you how it tastes, or where to find it if you felt so inclined.
Work is work. It really is nice having a steady income and my little kiddos are the cutest. I lost a student today because her father had, ummm personality clashes, with my boss. Unfortunate, but life goes on. My elementary students are growing on me more and more every day. Probably because in my E1 class I have two students that I had for my summer class and they are just too funny. Crazy and getting attitudes but even when they're goofing off I don't care too much. Or even tell them to stop. Woops. My E2s are harder to get through too, mainly because I have a student that should NOT be in that high of a level class. Realistically he should be tested for a learning disability, especially ADHD. However, learning disabilities are largely ignored in this country and from what I've been told rarely even tested for. Having graduated college with a degree in psychology this really irks me. Nothing I can do about it, so as I said, life goes on.
As for entertainment here, there always seems like there's something to do or somewhere to go if you want to. It took me a few weeks to find a good group of friends and a little longer to find Korean friends, but alas, I found them. I've become a lot more out going since I've been here, and way more adventurous and easy going. Its a lot easier for me to meet new people now and I've even started talking to strangers on the streets. Don't worry, not all the time haha. I'm not a crazed weirdo, I'm just less anxious about asking strangers for directions and things like that. Overall, my attitude about life has changed since I've been here. I'm way more positive, happy, and optimistic. I haven't gone into what used to be an all too frequent depressed funk since I've been here. I'm a good place because I've realized that life is not perfect, and I wouldn't want it to be. Besides, perfection is all in perspective and life is just too good to worry about that sort of thing.
Oh, and I have a wonderful Christmas vacation to look forward too. A friend of mine and I just booked our flights to Thailand! A week of site seeing, relaxing, and bumming around one of the most culturally rich countries in Southeast Asia. Now only to go into super money saver mood till than, but I'm not too worried.
That's all I can think of for now. Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. HAHA Sounds interesting! keep on, keeping on! See you at KCC! From Idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks. I promise to learn how to say your name soon! See you at KCC.

    ReplyDelete